Mallory Court Hotel, Bishops Tachbrook, Leamington Spa

Dates: 1997-2011

Get the Flash Player to see this player.
mallory court mallory court mallory court


  • Conservation - 1920's 1930's Buildings
  • Hotels

Alterations and extensions to a Grade 2 Listed Building built in 1915-18, in a Jacobean style by Morley Horder, but later altered when Headquarters of the Standard Motor Company in an Art Deco style, particularly the bathrooms. The project includes a new reception, new toilets, and new kitchens in the original building, and a new extension containing eight suites, around a water court, and looking over the gardens, also of Historic interest.

The David Brain Partnership continues its association with the Mallory Court Hotel. Planning negotiations are currently being conducted in order to expand the range of facilities offered by the hotel to include a spa and further bedrooms. The proposal is to combine these elements in a new building set within the existing historic garden.

The main access is via the extended car park area to the north west, the building retains a key elevation towards an existing Rose Garden which will complement this established site element.

The new building, sited as it is, enhances the setting of the main hotel building without imposing itself upon the existing complex. Mature specimen trees are maintained and will provide depth to the landscape proposals.

The orientation of the building provides for all day outside terrace use, and sheltered evening dinning, the courtyard plan providing enclosure. The fire pit and landscape works providing focal points and emphasis.

The immediate landscape promotes a formal vocabulary reflecting that of the main hotel, once outside the terraced areas the paths become naturally informal and link to longer site walks and existing facilities such as the tennis court and pool.